C. Church and brass

      

 

This 14th/15th century church is situated to the south of the village.

Although dedicated to St Mary it has strong associations with Sir Thomas Erpingham who fought with John of Gaunt and Henry V at the Battle of Agincourt in 1415. He is mentioned in Shakespeare’s play Henry V.

The tower and side aisle of the church are attributed to him and he is well known for erecting the ‘Erpingham gateway’ at Norwich cathedral where he is buried.

The brass in the side aisle is for his father Sir John Erpingham and was placed there by Sir Thomas in 1420.


Printer Printable Version